Thursday, February 15, 2007

Is my heart really that cold?

Yesterday, it was Valentines day. A great day for a lot of people! Some got hugs & kisses, perhaps even a cuddling session, others got lots of chocolates and presents from their best friends (aka Hallmark cards). Some others even got luckier, they got a girlfriend or a boyfriend that day. And of course, the even luckier, the ones that got laid.
Me for one, only got 3 mini-presents which are very appreciated. The first one was from my fellow RA and good close friend Jill, she gave me some candy with a cute note attached to it! My second gift came from this girl that I believe kinda likes me, but she is one of the residents on my floor so of course its not ethical! She gave me some Cinderella candy (lol). The third present was from a friend that plays volleyball with me and she is extremely cool, she gave me a small note (but no chocolate!). So it was all good.
I gave one present: a custom card to my best friend, saying happy Valentines. I made it myself, that is what counts. So that led me to ask myself, is my heart really that cold...?



Well, I do believe that people like to judge themselves a little bit, every now and then they ask themselves stuff like "am I a good person", "have I done right", "would I be a bad person if I don't do this", etc etc etc. I am happy to say that I believe that I'm a good guy, a great personality with a funny mix. Don't like violence or aggression, some people call me the pacifier, very settled with my mind clear on what I want. But I am not here to brag about myself.
What I wanted to talk about in this post was something that I thought about. I for one do not like Holidays. Valentines is one day, so what happens to all the other days? Why can't we show love and care for our friends and loved ones the other days in the year and yet we have to wait until Feb 14th to give them chocolate and a card with our signature on it, just so that they know that that day we are thinking of them. It's that whole expectation thing, "Ohhhh, you didn't give your friend something on Valentines day, means you don't love her" or whatever. Grow up please.
But don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people that do it. If you like to live in that fantasy, go ahead. Just remember that there are 364 other days in the year that you can be grateful for having a good friend or a loved one. Just remember to give a phone call not only because it's someone's birthday or because it's Christmas. People appreciate more the calls on other days that are not Holidays. It's like that one special day you are expecting phone calls from people you expect to call. I will give an example: my birthday. Do you know how many I only hear from only that day? They pretend to care, I believe them. Thanks for remembering my birthday =p. Not to mention that they always ask the same questions ahhahahaha. I tend to get in a bad mood on my birthday, people expect you to go out and get wasted, it's today's society way of thinking about a good time. My mom always encourages me to go out and drink on my birthdays, and I always tell her the same thing: I do what I want, and if staying home on my birthday is what I want to do, so let it be. Isn't your birthday supposed to make you happy? Well, I guess that doesn't happen very often to me then! Maybe I'm the fucked up one, but I'm happy with what I do, I'm grateful for what I have and I love my life style. It's what it's all about, so deal with it. Not everyone is the same, if you make the decision of going out and getting wasted, then getting behind the wheel and driving back home so be it. I don't judge, we are adults - you make a stupid decision you assume the consequences. Don't come begging and saying I'm sorry, assume the consequences.

Maybe my heart is cold, but maybe I am just being realistic.

2 comments:

Carolina said...

I love the way you think, it shows that you have personality and it doesnt really matter what others think. This means you have a strong character and also, you show to be a very responsible person. Besides, who are we to judge? Nice reading you :)
Carol

Anonymous said...

Not sure what heartsmall.jpg was. Ive rebuild my webpage so that picture is maby lost. You can use my art but please host the images yourself :) you can find some of my pictures here http://www.eldamar.se/gallery/photoshop/
Maby the one you were using is there

/Samuel