Sunday, July 08, 2007

My summer jobs

OK so my first job: the title is "webmaster assistant", webmaster is the person in charge of a website, in this case i work with the guy that runs the college's website (http://www.mville.edu/). In this job i do routine updates, make sure everything is working right, and some side projects might include programming, scripting, or whatever the hell he wants me to do which includes running out and getting him a cigarette.

My second job (only for the summer) is called "office assistant" - i work 8-10 hours a week at the Office of Residence Life, covering for a receptionist (the office that deals with student housing, and anything that has to do with students on campus). There I pick up the phone calls, organize the office, I also do some filing and keep track of residents applying for housing. Other duties may include going to the store and buying food for the director or the assistant director.

My third job is called "student assistant/tour guide/telecounceler" at the office of Admissions in the college. Here I do data entry, I give prospective students tours around the campus, and I also call (by phone or email) prospective students to help them out with applying to our school, answer any questions or whatever. Other duties may also include buying food for my supervisor, sending letters, organizing papers.

My fourth job is called "RA" (resident advisor, or resident assistant, also known as "hall monitor", Resident Assistants (RAs) are undergraduate students who assist in the management of the residence hall by encouraging students to get to know the people they live with through regular educational programs.
RA job is the most important of all - I live in the freshmen building regularly, but for the summer I am in the upperclassmen building. As an RA I need to make sure when freshmen get here they are getting acclimated to college and if they have any questions or problems, be there to help them. So I pretty much am there for whatever students need me too. I feel so used.

The RA job also consists of making sure students are following the college's code of conduct which includes no drinking in the dry halls, or underage drinking. We also do educational and social programming and encourage students to interact, and do what we call "community building". So pretty much, I help people out left and right

Thats it lol. Well, i also help maintain and update a GSL website (global student leadership network), you can check it out http://www.gslnet.org/ I made that web. And i do that for free.

4 comments:

GirlFromSantiago said...

You're a hard-working little booger (Except you're not... you know... gross). I guess helping people's part of your nature (or you have no choice, :P~)

I'm so glad you posted, man... I was about to slam dunk your ass out of my list :D jk... you know you' my buddy.

Ayi :) said...

lol chuliz tu ta jodio :S
o sea que lo que tu mas haces es comprar comida :P
chulizzzzzzzzzzzzz
brownies....piramides...coca colaa.....................

Luis said...

I work too much pretty much :P
Hey! But the money is good =)

Leo Nadal said...

send some

:)